Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Rape of Solomon's Song

I've long been a fan of John Macarthur's exegesis, but never his personality. The older he's grown, or the older I've grown, depending on how you look at it - I've found this gap to have grown wider and wider.

Of course, it doesn't help that Macarthur has made it his personal mission to constantly attack Mark Driscoll of late. Even calling on "older mentors" of Driscoll to admonish him for his unbecoming behavior and language.

According to the 70 year old Macarthur, "certain body parts are unmentionable". Says who? Macarthur quotes 1 Corinthians 12:23 as his basis, which is weak.

Macarthur says much more than that, but I find myself writing much of it off as a grumbling unhappy old man who is flustered by his younger counterparts and their "foolish" ways.

Macarthur may have been offended by what Driscoll said, but I wasn't. And it isn't because I'm worldly, crude, or evil. Its because I like to be taught in direct terms without added fluff.

I'll leave it with these words from Macarthur, "I should explain that I don't use the Internet directly; I don't even own a computer or have an Internet connection in my home. I'm totally dependent on staff and pastoral interns who print material that I need to read and make sure I get it."

Postscript: Here is Driscoll's response to the attacks by Macarthur.

0 comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro