Tuesday, June 30, 2009

But this one disturbs me most......

In Gary Lamb's recent post about his downfall/recovery, there was only one sentence that I found disturbing and upsetting:

I believe with everything that is in me that God is not through with me in a full-time ministry role but I do believe He has me on the sidelines right now to get some things right in my life.

I just don't get it.

There are plenty of men out there who are faithful to their wives. Let's say that 50% of all marriages end in divorce. Let's also hypothesize that 20% of those 50% that stay married cheat on their wives, but still stay married. That would leave us with 30% of men who are able to stay married and faithful. Let's further hypothesize that that 30% is just too generous of a number - let's say, that realistically, only 20% of men could be trusted to remain faithful to their wives.

Now. Shouldn't that 20% be expected to be our leadership? Why are we relying on the other 80% at all?

Of course, naysayers will throw out central themes of the Bible like Fall and Redemption as an excuse for reinstating someone like Gary. But the Bible also has plenty of stories about God calling out those few who show true signs of inward character, rather than those outward signs of exuberance or talent.

I just don't get it.

Is there no such thing as disqualification? Does character matter? Are we that desperate for someone who has talent?

I sometimes wonder how many "true leaders" / aka shepards are being hidden in some of our churches. Or if they are even in church at all?

How often are we trading image and talent for character and obedience?

I've got nothing against Gary for what he's done. I still think he is quite an entertaining character. I agree with Perry Noble, who stated that each of us are only a few missteps from a similar fate.

But I believe that Gary needs to get a real jobby job, like the rest of us. And forget about being a shepard.

He needs to go to church and just enjoy it, like the rest of us.


darkness said...

There are some punk "a" men who can't seem to understand that when the concept of fidelity and think it's a fun game to play the field. They don't think about what they are going to do to that other person who is only asking for simple things.

I can't believe that he would even think that there is a permanent place in the leadership of God's ministry. I would hope that anyone who came across this guy would not be fooled by his deceit.

He does need to take a marathon run back to the place where God can begin to work in his life and take baby steps back towards what God truly has for his life.

And please just get a jobby job and stop waisting time on the internet post these sob stories of how he messed up. We know all of this is a crappy situation but no one feels bad for you if you don't have the backbone to stand up against the devil and the temptations that he brings.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. I see it this way: an enormous amount of "Pastors" today are not called of God. They grew up in church, went to Bible college, and mama wanted a "preacher son". They don't seek God's perfect will for their lives, they want to do their own thing. And it isn't only Pastors, it's the average Christian who says "Thank you for saving me, God, now get out of my way and let me live my life on my terms." They pay Him lip service but their hearts are far from Him. Men who are disqualified to remain behind a pulpit often think that they are "so good, and so important" that God can't possibly do without them. It's PRIDE and it's satanic. Did God set Saul aside for his disobedience? Did He keep Moses from the Promised Land? The man of God is to live an exemplary life. He is to be SPIRIT FILLED! He is to be HOLY! He is to ABIDE IN CHRIST! He is to WALK WITH GOD! These things are completely foreign to the average Christian today. It isn't being taught in churches because the men behind the pulpits don't even know HOW to live a life of HOLINESS! They are FULL OF SELF and EMPTY OF CHRIST. A man has no business preaching to a flock every Sunday (possibly Wednesday)about the things of GOD, when he is screwing another woman and living the life of a fornicator. What is worse to me, however, is the lack of shame and his misguided belief that he is still so important that God must surely continue to use him. I wouldn't follow such a man.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro