Thursday, March 6, 2008

And the hits just keep on coming....

Two years ago, our closest friends went on a short vacation to North Carolina. Upon their return, they announced that they would be moving to North Carolina. It was a crushing blow for us. Now two years later, its happened again. Our friend went on a short trip to Georgia last week. She returned to announce that she and her husband, our closest friends once again, will be moving to Georgia. She is leaving in two weeks.


No one in South Florida is from South Florida. And no one in South Florida stays in South Florida. It sucks. We just have to remember to keep repeating the South Florida Mantra: Warm Weather. Warm Weather. Warm Weather. Warm Weather. Warm Weather. Warm Weather.

I've been reading through the book of Psalms this month. It is a hard book for me to read. I know that there are a lot of Christians out there who just adore Psalms - many of them are worship leaders, but I just don't usually appreciate that book the way that some do. This morning would be an exception.

Here is Psalm 73:


Truly God is good to those whose hearts are pure.

But as for me, I came so close to the edge of the cliff! My feet were slipping, and I was almost gone.

For I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness.

They seem to live such a painless life: their bodies are so healthy and strong.

They aren't troubled like other people or plagued with problems like everyone else.

They wear pride like a jeweled necklace, and their clothing is woven of cruelty.

These fat cats have everything their hearts could ever wish for!

They scoff and speak only evil; in their pride they seek to crush others.

They boast against the very heavens, and their words strut throughout the earth.

And so the people are dismayed and confused, drinking in all their words.

"Does God realize what is going on?" they ask. "Is God even aware of what is happening?"

Look at these arrogant people - enjoying a life of ease while their riches multiply.


Was it for nothing that I kept my heart pure and kept myself from doing wrong?

All I get is trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain.


If I had really spoken this way, I would have been a traitor to your people.

So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper.

But what a difficult task it is!

Then one day I went into your sanctuary, O God, and I thought about the destiny of the wicked.

Truly, you put them on a slippery path and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction.

In an instant they are destroyed, swept away by terrors.

Their present life is only a dream that is gone when they awake. When you arise, O Lord, you will make them vanish from this life.


Then I realized how bitter I had become, how pained I had been by all I had seen. I was foolish and ignorant - I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you.

Yet I still belong to you; you are holding my right hand.

You will keep on guiding me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.

Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth.

My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.


But those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you.

But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt and Laura? Wow. Nice that you're the one who told us.

Anonymous said...

dude i'm slowly moving my way north. I was born and raised in so fla and i want out of the state altogether! lol i'll be home in April, hopefully with the boy, so be ready.

Anonymous said...

Hold on, Hold on. I have to speak up for us and say that it is not that Lew had to tell you. We told them last night and had plans to tell everyone else in time. This came really fast at us and we didn't know it would be this soon. We are sorry if you are offended that we did not tell you guys as well but you kind of guessed at the fact that it was us.

revolution said...

it's not important, who they told when.

what is important is that they're visiting family in Homestead this weekend, and have family visiting them the following weekend.

so we don't even get a chance to throw a going-away party.

hotdogjones said...

Move to BG, it's the bomb!

Anonymous said...

Hold on there Darkness. Wasn't offended, just being sarcastic. And apologies Lew. I know this is hard on you and I shouldn't make light of it.
We'll miss you too Matty and Laura.

Anonymous said...

lew, i was born and raised in south florida and i've been around the world and u.s. a little bit. every once in a while when i'm driving around on one of those cool (70 degrees) winter days i call my wife and remind that we live in one of the best places in the world. hang in there.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro