Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Forgotten Ways




I'm reading "Forgotten Ways" by Alan Hirsch. I use the present tense rather than past because this book reads like a textbook. It has been slow going, though the book is far from boring or tedious. I'm getting a lot from the book, but I find that I have to take my time or I'll miss something important.


Hirsch spends much time discussing the Chinese Underground House Church Movement of late, as well as the House Church Movement in his homeland of Australia. He then contrasts these movements with the religious state of affairs in the United States.

I'm finding this book to be valuable, though I'm not sure how many people I would actually recommend it to. If you made it through Josh Mcdowell's "Evidence that demands a verdict" (as my wife and I did a few years ago) then you can tough through a book like this also.

The author does an excellent job of describing and defining the Emerging Missional Church movement in the U.S.; not an easy task. There are some quotations that I've taken away from this book that are keepers, but I will not burden you with them in this format.

1 Comment:

unkleE said...

Haven't read this book, but I've heard Allan speak and read his book with Mike Frost - "The Shape of things to come". I can recommend that book very highly, and also Mike Frost's "Exiles".

Go the Aussies!

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro