Thursday, August 7, 2008

BMX is Back! I hope.

BMX will be added to the lineup of the Beijing Olympics this year. Why is this important?



Because Rad is out of print. Rad is one of the greatest movies of all time. As a child of the 80's, I watched this movie countless times before risking death on the handlebars of a BMX bike.



And Rad is now out of print. This is a travesty. An utter travesty.



But there is hope. With the inclusion of BMX at the Olympics, perhaps the studio in ownership of Rad will consider re releasing this 80's classic on DVD.



Here is a scene from Rad, for those of you who might be unfamiliar with it. This scene captures Rad in all of its glorious wonder.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you just sent me back to 80s in a big way. (I got 3rd in the state for flatland BMX freestyle back in the mid 80s.) Most of the stuff in the video I could do. We had our friends lie down in the street and we "bunny-hopped" over them. The cherry-picker, endos, 360 tail-whip, riding backwards on the handlebars—those where the days. (Man I sound old.) I saw some of the guys in the movie do a show in Indianapolis as part of the Haro Trick Team. I still have my Haro Master frame and forks in the garage.

Man, I am now inspired to drop some money and get parts for it. The problem is the medical bills that would most likely ensue me trying to do what I did 20+ years ago.

Now I wish I had bought RAD in the clearance bins. That movie was the biggest plug for BMX freestyle. We were always behind skaters and surfers on the coolness scale, but hey you could never take a girl for a ride on the handlebars on a skateboard.

As far as the Olympics, I guess that ruins my boycott. It is ironic since the reason for my boycott was the persecution of Christians in China and in particular of a house church leader know as Pastor Bike because he travels by bike. Wonder if he can do any tricks?

Google "Pastor Bike" or here are some links for more info: http://chinaaid.org/2008/08/06/pastor-zhang-bike-mingxuan-and-wife-arrested/

http://radiofreechina.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/296/

nothing said...

That is by far the sweetest post ever.... I'm gonna get get a DiamondBack with Pegs... I'll pick you up at 5:00

revolution said...

I downloaded Rad on demonoid.com at a mere 700 mb for full screen / and streamed it to our PS3. We've watched twice already.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro