Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wrong Phone Number


I've been working at my new job for 3 months now. I work in the E-Commerce department for Maroone - the South Florida Brand for Autonation, the largest auto retailer in the country.

I call people every day and leave them a friendly message with my office number, asking them politely to call me back.

I've had a few people tell me that they couldn't get through on my office line, that it just rang and rang, but I've blown them off as dolts who didn't know how to correctly use a phone.

Today I decided to call my own office line from my cell phone. I don't know why exactly, just a whim. It never occurred to me that anything could be wrong.

I discovered that my number does indeed ring directly into Limbo - with no response. When people call me on the inter-office extension, it works. When the receptionist transfers a call to me, it works. But if someone tried to dial my office line directly from outside the premises - they got nothing but ringing.

How many calls did I miss in the last three months?

Do you know how many times I gave out my phone number in a three month span? - around 20,000 times.

I could have thrown myself from a bridge with the frustration of knowing that I've been giving out the wrong number for so long.
I'm going to go home and watch office space now.

0 comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro