Friday, February 22, 2008

Church - Institutional / Denominational or A group of people who follow Jesus?

I am not against the institutions/denominations of church, but neither am I in favor of fighting for them. Rather than attempting to tear down the institutions of church, I believe they should be left to stand on their own. But at the same time, that does not necessarily mean that I, personally, want to be a part of those institutions.

Too often, traditions are built and then defended with bared teeth. I want no part of that fight. I believe that the church is indeed the Bride of Jesus, but I prefer to see that bride as a group of followers rather that a building with a sign out front.

"My team is better than your team" may work well in the sporting world, but it is pretty unbecoming for churches. Too bad I run into it more often than not.

1 Comment:

ShaneBertou said...

"My team is better than your team" may work well in the sporting world, but it is pretty unbecoming for churches. Too bad I run into it more often than not.

Has anyone noticed that it often seems that people have more interest in converting others to their church than the ways and teachings of Jesus? I think you hit it on the head.

That being said...

We've been "outside" the institutional church for over a year now. We just got to a point where the more we asked "why" we were doing "the church thing," the less we had answers.

But.. in the time since we pulled up stakes and headed out into the wild blue yonder, I've really made up my mind that I'm not in the business of tearing down the institutional church either. There are tons of folks who enjoy it, grow in it, connect with others through it and aren't the least bit disillusioned by it. I don't necessarily feel it's my calling in life to rock their boat.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro