Thursday, February 21, 2008

Hospitality - Consumer lifestyle or Servant lifestyle?

The idea of opening up your home and your life to a stranger can be a foreign and even frightening prospect. Our culture is highly driven by a consumer mentality. Fast food, television, air conditioning, Internet, etc. We want it our way, now, and in the privacy of our own home.

I can't say it better than Mark Driscoll in Radical Reformission: "Isn't it odd that we are apparently becoming a nation of attractive people who sit at home alone at night with our pets, watching our television shows about relationships and taking medication for the depression brought on by our loneliness? Meanwhile, our neighbors, whom we do not know, are spending their evenings in much the same way?"

Hospitality isn't just about "opening up your home", but about serving others. Too many people are guilty of consistantly asking themselves, "What am I getting out of this?"

"Me, me, me." Doesn't it just feel good to say it?

2 comments:

nothing said...

So I guess my 4:00am Heroes obsession is going to turn into me taking Zanax on my couch with the dogs?.........hmmmm. Watching Heroes when i'm stoned........ Sweet!!!!! That's for the advise!

revolution said...

I told you so.

Can't say I didn't warn you.

Shoot, we're only six months removed from our first go around, and here we are doing it again.

Too bad Laura has to work, or we wouldn't have had to stop at all.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro