Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Exodus 21 - 22

On Aug. 5, we hosted our third Dinner & Discussion, basing our studies on Exodus 20:22 - 23:19.

Topics discussed included:

  • altars of worship/modern day houses of worship
  • slaves' rights; fetus' rights
  • the death penalty as a deterrent for future crime
  • the price of a life/the price of Jesus' life
  • personal liability/property liability
  • sexual responsibility - "keep it in your pants"
  • interest rates
  • occultism
  • orphans and widows
  • festivals - "getting together to party"

In our next Dinner & Discussion, Aug. 19 at 6 pm, we will pick up in Exodus 23:20 and probably cover at least a few more chapters.

An interesting question was raised during our time of discussion, which prompted much debate. My "church field trips" began two months ago with a singular self-serving purpose: there were a half dozen churches nearby that I felt would be interesting to check out as an educational experience. For my own personal purposes, I'm attempting to "see what's out there" in my local community as it concerns how people come together to worship God.

Initially, my subjects were limited to a mere six or ten churches which were on my radar, having shown some particular interest to me in one way or another. (As you can see, we've covered quite a broad spectrum already.)

A friend of mine asked me if I had considered going to a Hindu or Buddhist temple (both of which are nearby). I answered that such a field trip had not occurred to me, that I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I honestly wouldn't know where to begin, because it is so far out of my "comfort zone." Someone else asked if the Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, Mosque, etc. would be something I would also include in my field trips. Now I have to be honest and say that, personally, these "churches" don't interest me and my initial purposes, but neither would I object to such a field trip.

Someone raised the objection that a "christian" ought not to visit a place where Jesus is not worshipped in the light of the truth of Scripture. I don't think I would agree with this statement, because, historically, there isn't really anything that I'm "afraid of". I'm not really your typical paranoid christian, who's afraid to leave the house for fear that I might offend someone, offend myself, or offend God.

What are your thoughts?

Should our Church Field Trips include those places of worship that are not considered, by popular opinion, to be Bible-based Christ-centered places of worship?

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should make those visits. It will put you in the mind of an unbeliever as they step into a different church for the first time. I would be interested to know how you felt about your field trips to non-christian churches.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro