Sunday, August 19, 2007

Natural Cures "They" don't want you to know about

"Natural Cures 'They' don't want you to know about" is a great book for conspiracy theorists and suckers alike. Alas, I am neither. (thank you, public library. Please, like I'd give this guy any of my hard-earned money.) Either way, it was an enjoyable, quick read. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I do find the basic premise of this book very believable - Money makes the world go round. Unfortunately, I believe the same probably holds true for Trudeau himself as well. Sure, I don't trust my government, (the FDA/FTC). I also don't trust drug companies, food manufacturers, fast-food restaurants, or any of the other faceless corporations that essentially run our lives. But that is about the extant of it. There isn't a whole lot I can do about it, though there are some small things that can be done on a personal level, to be sure. (Just like Al Gore suggests for fuel consumption)

An example of this premise in action:

During college, my wife (then fiance) announced to me that she was going to be a vegetarian (thank you very much, PETA). I was a bit put off, mostly because there was no warning given for such a drastic lifestyle change. (Unlike most men, I went along and became a vegetarian myself). Rather than start eating garbage like tofu, couscous, and bean sprouts; we simply removed the meat from our existing recipes - fajitas(no meat), spaghetti(no meat), pizza(no meat), etc. And by "meat", I mean beef, pork, AND CHICKEN (to all you girls out there that think that chicken isn't meat, try educating yourself to the fact that the beef industry actually treats their animals better than the poultry industry. And that isn't saying much.) After about 5 years, we decided (consciously) to begin to let limited amounts of meat back into our diet. (Being vegetarian had proven to be too difficult and restricting amidst our level of cultural immersion, but we still believed in the basic premise that our culture consumes WAY TOO MUCH MEAT in a way that overloads the system and forces it to produce meat in a manner that is both unthinkable and inhumane. We still make most of our recipes without meat, and really only eat meat when "eating out" for social ease. (about once a week)
I've already seen the documentary "Super-Size Me" (it was awesome!) and I'm about to start reading "Fast Food Nation".

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

1) Kevin Trudeau does not look trustworthy.
2) Couscous is delish!!

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro