Friday, August 17, 2007

Ultimate Beer


Ultimate Beer is a Dorling Kindersley book, and therefore, irresistible. If I could own every DK book that is out there, I would. And for them to put out a book about beer from the "beer hunter" himself, Michael Jackson; I couldn't pass it up.

Jackson does a great job of giving a thorough explanation of the brewing process and brewing history, especially regional geographic brewing history. He weighs heavily on Germany, Belgium, and England/Scotland, as well as the Pacific Northwest/U.S.

I learned a lot. I discovered a few new beers that I'd like to try, and read about some that I've already had. He did an o.k. job of "spreading it out" and mentioning a number of different breweries, including some favorites of my own, like Kalamazoo Brewing Co. (Bell's)

I only have one problem with this book: we can't all be world travelers like Mr. Jackson. Many of the beers that he touts are some that I will never have the opportunity to experience. What I need, is a lexicon similar to this, but limited to beers that are actually available in the United States.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just for the record: Never try Miller Chill. It is horrific. Basically watered down Sprite. Gag.

revolution said...

i actually liked Miller Chill, surprisingly. It tasted like Pelegrino, rather than beer, it was kind of refreshing.

Anonymous said...

The first sip I thought, "ok, this could be light and refreshing." The second and third I thought I would gag. Just drink Pelegrino if you want refreshing.

Anonymous said...

miller chill is my favorite beer right now...

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh! Miller Chill isn't even a BEER! It's flippin' watered down soda!

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro